Your home is the most valuable asset you have and it is worth protecting. Here are some tips to help you keep your home safe.
*Remember, most insurance companies require a competent person to check your home every 24 to 48 hours.
When at Home
- When in your backyard lock your front door and vice versa.
- When in the home, it is a good idea to keep your doors locked.
- Consider keeping your blinds/curtains closed at night because people can see in.
- When on Vacation or your home is vacant for other reasons?
- Arrange to have your mail picked up and consider stopping newspapers/flyers.
- Remember to have the grass cut, the leaves raked or snow removed as necessary.
- Use timers on a few lamps in rooms where light will be noticed from the outside.
- Have a neighbor check both the inside and outside of the home every few days or according to your insurance requirements. Ask them to pick up items delivered.
- Ask your neighbor to park their car in your driveway.
In Your Yard
- Trim trees and bushes that could conceal burglars, especially around windows and doors.
- Keep your yard maintained to give the house a lived-in appearance. Cut grass, rake leaves, remove dead branches and debris.
- Install outside lights to brighten dark areas around doors and windows.
In Your Community
- Get to know your neighbors – residents should become familiar with the routine in their neighborhoods.
- Leave keys and emergency phone numbers with a trusted neighbor.
- Keep up appearances – being seen in and around the home is less attractive to criminals and vandals.
- Get involved in crime prevention programs.